States that permit the use of medical and recreational marijuana set their own programs. Many aspects are covered within these programs including regulations and requirements for growers, processors, retailers and laboratories. The required testing and accreditation varies from state-to-state. What will not vary is the credibility gained by growers, processors, and retailer that test the safety and quality of their cannabis.
Which instruments you need will be determined by what tests your state requires. Below are links to the rules and regulations created by the states that have legalized marijuana for either medical, adult use or both.
Medicinal Genomics offers a summary of Cannabis Microbial Testing Regulations by State.
Other resources to check for current information and updates are NORML and the interactive map by MJBiz. Additional states continue to legalize, and state cannabis laws frequently change. Please refer to the state’s website for the most up to date information.
Washington D.C. Regulations Act 13-138, “Legalization of Marijuana for Medical Treatment Initiative of 1998”; and Initiative 71, the “Legalization of Possession of Minimal Amounts of Marijuana for Personal Use Initiative of 2014.”
Hawaii Revised Statutes Chapter 329-121 to 329-128; Part IX, Medical Use of Marijuana, pp.64-68 | “Medical Cannabis Dispensaries,” Chapter 11-850 Hawaii Administrative Rules
- Montana Medical Marijuana Program – (The program has moved from the Dept. of Health & Human Services to the Dept. of Revenue.)
- Montana Medical Marijuana Program Administrative Rules
- Testing Laboratory Quality Assurance Requirements
- Cannabis Control Division
- Medical Cannabis Program
- Quick Reference Guide | Medical & Adult-Use Programs
- Adult-Use Producer Licensing
- Licensing Requirements for Producers, Couriers, Manufacturers and Laboratories (See especially, 188.8.131.52 NMAC, Testing of Usable Cannabis)
- Quality Control, Inspection, and Testing of Cannabis Products
- Cannabis Laboratories | Office of Cannabis Management (ny.gov) | Applications, Laboratory Standards & Approved Methods
- Compassionate Care Act, New York Codes, Rules and Regulations: Volume D Title 10 Part 1004 Chapter XIII – Medical Use of Marijuana
- NYS Medical Marijuana Program
- Adult-Use Dispensaries
- New York State Adult Use Cannabis
- New York State Penal Law Overview (NYS Office of Cannabis Management)
- Labs & Sampling Firms
- Cannabinoid Hemp Rules & Regulations
Medical Marijuana Act – Enactment, Act of Apr. 17, 2016, P.L. 84, No. 16
Code of Virginia§ 18.2-251.1. Possession or distribution of marijuana for medical purposes permitted; Chapter 11. Possession of Retail Marijuana and Retail Marijuana Products; Prohibited Practices Generally. Adult-use (non-medical) commercial sales are still not yet legal.